About this web version of the guide
If you are new to the job you should have received, as part of your Members’ Staff Induction Pack, information about the online version of this guide. Click here to see letter from the Clerk of the House of Commons that accompanies the pack, complete with links to relevant resources on the Parliamentary Intranet.
Copies of the original booklets are now very scarce but the online version contains all the same information and we will do our best to keep this updated, and just because it originated in 2010 doesn’t mean it’s out of date.
Good luck in your new job! Now read on….
- Foreword by Mr Speaker
- Foreword by the Clerk of the House
- First things you need to know
- How to survive your first ten days in the constituency office
- Freedom of Information and Data Protection issues
- Ten Things the Library Can Do For You
- Doing research in an MP’s office
- Staff rights
- Groups which staff can join
- Getting the best out of your internship
- Standard letters and forms
- Managing your MP’s Internet enthusiasm
- Parliamentary jargon
- Introduction to political blogs and social media
- Members’ Tours
This guide is provided by Working for an MP (w4mp) and was originally published in 2010 as a joint project between w4mp and Dods, based on existing material from the w4mp website and some newly commissioned guides.
Most of the material in Guides is subject to Crown copyright protection. Unless otherwise indicated material may be reproduced free of charge in any format or media without specific permission. This is subject to the material being reproduced accurately and not being used in a derogatory manner or in a misleading context. For more details see our Copyright page