- The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman toolkit
- The Citizens Advice Bureau toolkit
- Familylives.org.uk (Parentline Plus)
1. The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman toolkit
The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman has produced a tool kit for constituency staff to assist you in your constituency casework. It gives information on how the Ombudsman can help to resolve constituents’ complaints about public bodies and the NHS and guidance on how best to refer such complaints to the Ombudsman.
If you would like a further copy or have questions about the role of the Ombudsman please contact the Public Affairs team at firstname.lastname@example.org
To access a pdf version (393 KB) click here.
2. The Citizens Advice Bureau toolkit
Here’s the latest updated guide from the Citizens Advice Bureau http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/mps__guide_2011_web-2.pdf.
The guide sets out:
- examples of where bureau and their local MP have worked together innovatively,
- advice for the MP on dealing with some of the problems that constituents may present at an advice surgery and how to make a referral to the bureau,
- and links of other organisations which could provide support.
If you would like a hard copy e-mail email@example.com stating which MP you work for and preferably from a Parliamentary email address.
3. Familylives.org (Parentline Plus)
W4MP are happy to bring you information about the new service offered to MPs and their staff by Parentline Plus.
Any MP or staff member who wants to use the service should phone Gemma Lass on: 020 7284 5543. She will give you the link, talk you through how to use the online form and give you a chance to ask questions.
Here’s what Parentline Plus have to say about this service.
Extended Telephone Support Referral Service
Parentline Plus – www.parentlineplus.org.uk/default.aspx – is the largest provider of family support in England, working with over 700,000 families per year through our free 24 hour 7 days per week helpline, web services, email support, live chat, a wide range of local services and extended telephone counselling support.
Since 2004, Parentline Plus have been offering this confidential service to help parents and carers to overcome complex and entrenched family problems.
Our support workers offer skilled intervention and accurate and detailed information to help parents understand the real issues that they face, and support them to make realistic changes to improve their situations
The service consists of up to six 45-minute telephone support sessions, arranged at a time to suit the parent.
This service is free for Members of Parliament and Parents to use. It is funded by a grant from the Department for Education.
The Parentline Plus Extended Telephone Support service offers support to families on three key areas:
- Addressing difficulties with children/family and identifying possible courses of action or areas for change.
- Providing information on other organisations which could offer help to the parent, for example benefits agencies, schools, other specialist services.
- Exploring ways for the parent to look after themselves.
The service was evaluated by Ecotec on behalf of the DCSF in November 2009. Some of the key findings were:
- 95% of parents interviewed would recommend ETS to other families.
- 89% felt sessions addressed their needs.
- Parents interviewed reported significant improvements in their confidence as a parent, understanding of their child’s needs, family relationships and ability to set boundaries.
How do I make a referral?
It couldn’t be easier. All you need to do is:
- Explain the service to the parent and get their agreement.
- Follow the link we can provide you with to our simple secure online form.
- Enter brief details about the parent on the form.
Parentline Plus does the rest. We contact the parent and arrange convenient times for the ETS worker to call. We will contact the parent usually within 72 hours but within a maximum of 7 days to book the sessions. Our services team will acknowledge receipt of the referral and can provide feedback on the outcome of the referral.
If you would like more information, or to sign up for the service and receive your link to the referral site, please contact Gemma Lass: Gemma.Lass@parentlineplus.org.uk or 020 7284 5543.
Click here to view five case studies (PDF 40KB).