Here you will find guides, documents and other useful material. We are continuing to stock our library and we welcome suggestions for new material.
Some guides are written by us or other staff working for MPs and some originate from various House Departments or our good friends in the House of Commons Library.
What You Need to Know
- Welcome to your new job
You can find all pre-2014 guides here.
A Guide to Working for an MP: Booklet
This guide was originally published in 2010 as a joint project between w4mp and Dods, based on existing material from the w4mp website and some newly commissioned guides.
- Foreword by Mr Speaker
- Foreword by the Clerk of the House
- First things you need to know
- How to survive your first ten days at Westminster
- How to survive your first ten days in the constituency office
- Freedom of Information and Data Protection issues
- Ten Things the Library Can Do For You
- Doing research in an MP’s office
- Staff rights
- Groups which staff can join
- Getting the best out of your internship
- Managing internships
- Standard letters and forms
- Managing your MP’s Internet enthusiasm
- Parliamentary jargon
- Introduction to political blogs and social media
- Maps of the Parliamentary Estate
- Members’ Tours
|A Working for an MP Guide|
|W4MP Guides List|
|Last Updated||2 January 2014||w4mp|
|Last Reviewed||2 January 2014||w4mp|
|January 2014: we are reviewing all guides and simplifying the structure to make it easier for you to find material and ensure that we can keep things updated.|
This guide is provided by Working for an MP (w4mp). Most of the material in Guides is subject to Crown copyright protection. Unless otherwise indicated material may be reproduced free of charge in any format or media without specific permission. This is subject to the material being reproduced accurately and not being used in a derogatory manner or in a misleading context. For more details see our Copyright page