Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs have updated their very helpful booklet, explaining how they can help you to help your constituents.
If you would like a copy of the updated version, please email us and we’ll send you the PDF.
*** Please note that we are only able to send these documents to current Members of the Senedd, Members of Parliament and Members of the Scottish Parliament and their staff with intranet email accounts. It is not available to members of the public. ***
When debts start to mount up, it can have an adverse effect on an individual’s mental health and well-being.
This guide offers lots of helpful information such as:
- Understanding the impact of debt to mental health – the different kinds of debt (e.g. tax debt) and how they can be a key source of stress, depression, and anxiety if not planned and managed properly.
- Advice for dealing with debt such as setting up a Debt Management Plan or an Individual Voluntary Arrangement (IVA), qualifying for a Debt Relief Order (DRO), or even filing bankruptcy to get some protection and keep life essentials like pension savings safe from creditors.
- What to do if debt problems begin affecting your mental health. This includes recognising the symptoms and early warning signs of mental health problems associated with debt as well as advice on where to turn to for help and support.
- Other useful information and resources, including debt charities and organisations that are dedicated to helping people conquer their debt problems
Tax Debt and Mental Health: https://www.riftrefunds.co.uk/tax-rebates/uk-tax-refund-advice/tax-debt-and-mental-health/
HMRC’s next drop-in surgery, to which MPs and staff can bring HMRC-related constituent cases, takes place tomorrow between 11:00 and 13:00 in Room R at Portcullis House.
HMRC experts on tax credits, PAYE and Self Assessment will be available to help resolve cases that your constituents might have raised. They’ll also take away any more complex cases to get these resolved as quickly as possible.
In addition, HMRC policy officials will be available to answer questions on the loan charge.
Upcoming drop-in details:
- 18 June, 11:00 to 13:00 Room: P PCH
- 17 July, 11:00 to 13:00 Room: U PCH